January 24, 2021, 03:37:27 am

bloody bikes

Started by komp, June 22, 2017, 04:09:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

komp

had a fun night last night getting the KTM back from a bike show in Royston, the show was pretty good btw

on the way there noticed an odd smell, but couldn't work out where it was coming from, put it down to hot bike on a hot day
but when came to leave, bike wouldn't start, would get a flicker from the dash but that is all, battery was red hot... at least we worked out where the smell was coming from!
mates tried to bump start with no joy, got a jump from some guys who had some leads in their car, managed to get it running, but dash was going mental
got as far as the gates and it died again, managed to get another jump from a less than happy AA guy (we refused to join the AA you see)
this time manged to ride the next 58 miles without stopping and revving the bike when slow to keep it running, avoiding traffic lights etc. was a bit dodgy in the dark as lights were not working well, but got the bike within 2 miles of my front door when ran out of fuel!! contemplated pushing but most of it was uphill!
had to drag missus out of bed with a fuel can and jump leads, leads were shit, so resorted to stealing the battery from the Ducati.. finally got home just after 12 am

this was on top of Ducati failing its first mot due to a excessively loose chain, had to order up a new one
so both bikes are off the road until i can sort them at the weekend

on a totally different subject i am pretty sure i saw wallace at this bike show last night.. that or jimmy sommerville was making a guest appearance
Triumph Speed Triple RS
KTM 990 SMT

Jarse

Bad luck there Komp. Bet Jo was delighted too.

Will a new battery sort the KTM?

Good luck getting them all sorted.

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

You can adjust the chain you know?  ;)

komp

Quote from: Jarse on June 22, 2017, 06:22:03 pm
Bad luck there Komp. Bet Jo was delighted too.

Will a new battery sort the KTM?

Good luck getting them all sorted.

new battery went in the ktm last night
brought it to work today, so far so good, hopefully its nothing else causing the issues, time will tell

Quote from: Tiiimmmaaayyyy on June 23, 2017, 08:11:22 am
You can adjust the chain you know?  ;)

really! they should make that public knowledge!! :P

tbh typically mot chap would just tell me to adjust (as tend to run chains a bit loose anyway), but he seemed to think it was beyond that.
i didn't totally agree, but the chain was very manky, and was at the top of my "to buy" list, so decided it go down the new and shiny route
chain and sprocket kit also turned up yesterday, so will fit tomorrow

Triumph Speed Triple RS
KTM 990 SMT

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

You really can't argue with shiny and new.

Dom1

Its a good job they makes us so happy when they do work properly.

Bikes still rock.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

MOzZereLLa

Quote from: Tiiimmmaaayyyy on June 23, 2017, 09:13:33 am

And to think of the banter I got when applying that principle 😂
Significantly faster than you.....

Manic636

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on June 24, 2017, 06:54:48 am
Quote from: Tiiimmmaaayyyy on June 23, 2017, 09:13:33 am

And to think of the banter I got when applying that principle 😂

But you usually go shiny and new bike to replace a single part 😉

komp

new shiny chain fitted and and mot passed  :cool:
Triumph Speed Triple RS
KTM 990 SMT

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

Your rearsets are high aren't they

komp

:rofl:
rear sets are for beginners ;)
Triumph Speed Triple RS
KTM 990 SMT

m6rk

komp if the battery was smelling it's probably being overcharged due to a failed reg/rec. check this out before you fry another battery!

DaveH

komp

Quote from: m6rk on June 26, 2017, 09:34:08 pm
komp if the battery was smelling it's probably being overcharged due to a failed reg/rec. check this out before you fry another battery!

how do i check this?
new battery has been fine so far, but not done a huge amount of miles.
Triumph Speed Triple RS
KTM 990 SMT

komp

i found a guide, will check it out tonight
Triumph Speed Triple RS
KTM 990 SMT