October 20, 2020, 06:22:25 am

New vs Old

Started by Lord Danoir the first, September 11, 2020, 08:12:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Danoir the first

Alzo

I love the modern stuff with all the technology...I wouldn't consider older bikes now...the brakes and suspension being the two areas that for me are the biggest reason.

David W

Quote from: Alzo on September 11, 2020, 08:53:23 amI love the modern stuff with all the technology...I wouldn't consider older bikes now...the brakes and suspension being the two areas that for me are the biggest reason.

Brakes and suspension are the two easiest things to upgrade though?

Weird thing is, bikes were leaving factories with better suspension 15 years ago than they do now, but 15 years of use will have taken it's toll.

Alzo

I beg to differ...had a few bikes...and the suspension and brakes on current bike work amazingly...and in harmony...you could mess about with an old bike forever to get anywhere near the capability.

David W

September 11, 2020, 10:50:01 am #4 Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 10:55:53 am by David W
Quote from: Alzo on September 11, 2020, 10:13:03 amI beg to differ...had a few bikes...and the suspension and brakes on current bike work amazingly...and in harmony...you could mess about with an old bike forever to get anywhere near the capability.

How many have you modified though?

Aftermarket Brembo Master Cylinder, calipers and new lines will fit anything made in the last 20 years and are better than anything rolling off a production line.

Ditto shock and fork cartridges from KTech, Ohlins, WP, Bitubo, etc, etc.

Not cheap, but very easy and simple bolt-on upgrades if you're half competent with spanners.

Electronics in the last 10 or 15 years is where the big differences are. There isn't an aftermarket alternative there unless you want to get in very deep!

Lord Danoir the first

The track comparison was interesting to me, that a couple of fast-ish lads can go no quicker on a modern all singing superbike that a 15 year old bike that's just had a suspension refresh and is essentially well set up.

I'm in no rush to get out of my 10yo that's for sure.

Alzo

Quote from: David W on September 11, 2020, 10:50:01 am
Quote from: Alzo on September 11, 2020, 10:13:03 amI beg to differ...had a few bikes...and the suspension and brakes on current bike work amazingly...and in harmony...you could mess about with an old bike forever to get anywhere near the capability.

How many have you modified though?

Aftermarket Brembo Master Cylinder, calipers and new lines will fit anything made in the last 20 years and are better than anything rolling off a production line.

Ditto shock and fork cartridges from KTech, Ohlins, WP, Bitubo, etc, etc.

Not cheap, but very easy and simple bolt-on upgrades if you're half competent with spanners.

Electronics in the last 10 or 15 years is where the big differences are. There isn't an aftermarket alternative there unless you want to get in very deep!
None...I chose to let Manufacturers spend millions on development then swoop in and pay £13k for a sorted bike...saved me endless hours in a shed fitting tat and deluding myself I've improved the machine.
Clever eh????..😊😉

David W

Quote from: Lord Danoir the first on September 11, 2020, 11:09:50 amThe track comparison was interesting to me, that a couple of fast-ish lads can go no quicker on a modern all singing superbike that a 15 year old bike that's just had a suspension refresh and is essentially well set up.

I'm in no rush to get out of my 10yo that's for sure.

As we all know few riders are held back by the 'shortcomings' of a sportsbike built in that last 15 years. That was as fast as those riders could ride round that track, not as fast as the bikes could go round there.

Lord Danoir the first

No, but I'd have thought 15 years of development would make the same rider quicker....... seems not though!!

GRUMPY

Are new bikes better than old bikes. They should be, but does it make them more fun. I am more than happy with my two 14+ year old bikes. Would I be faster on a new bike,probably. If I am slower up a stretch of road than someone on the latest technological rocket it doesn't dampen my enjoyment of riding what I have. I also enjoy trying to improve my bikes, whether that is suspension or brakes. Each to their own. Enjoy what you ride. 🏍🏍🏍🏍

I also don't get the new dashes with more information than you could possibly process if you are riding the bike as it is intended.

Old Skool Rules. 😉

Alzo

Quote from: Lord Danoir the first on September 11, 2020, 03:45:22 pmNo, but I'd have thought 15 years of development would make the same rider quicker....... seems not though!!
That's not a bike issue though...that's more rider limitation.

Alzo

Oh and....
 NEW SKOOL RULES :cool:  :cool:  :cool:

David W

September 11, 2020, 04:56:52 pm #12 Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 04:58:39 pm by David W
Quote from: Lord Danoir the first on September 11, 2020, 03:45:22 pmNo, but I'd have thought 15 years of development would make the same rider quicker....... seems not though!!

It takes an awful lot of bottle to 'use' the electronics properly. I was talking to a guy with a V4 Panigale and he was telling me he's leaning on the TC all the time out of corners on trackdays. No idea if he's bullshitting me or not but I know I don't have the cajones to just bury the throttle and let the computers sort it out for me!

Daft thing is that TC is then just dropping 200HP down to 100HP, which is no more than the GSXR will be putting down at that point in time too and therefore be going no faster....

mc101

Quote from: David W on September 11, 2020, 04:56:52 pm

Daft thing is that TC is then just dropping 200HP down to 100HP, which is no more than the GSXR will be putting down at that point in time too and therefore be going no faster....

Thats not what happens though fwiw ..... 
2015: NLR HT1 Endurance (1st)
2014: ACU National Endurance 1000 (2nd)

Alzo

Quote from: mc101 on September 18, 2020, 04:18:28 pm
Quote from: David W on September 11, 2020, 04:56:52 pm

Thats not what happens though fwiw ..... 
The usual myth that you can't convince some folks it's not the case.